Membership in the Veritas Homeschoolers support group is open to all families currently homeschooling* at least one child in Arizona. Membership is concentrated in the Ahwatukee Foothills (Phoenix), south Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert and Mesa areas. Veritas (vair’ uh tahss), which is Latin for “truth,” describes what we as parents desire to teach our children, both in the realm of academics and the arena of life. Veritas Homeschoolers is an evangelical Christian support group for those who are home educating their children, including preschool age children. Although Veritas Homeschoolers is a Christian organization with Christian leadership, membership is open to all those wishing to homeschool their children. We acknowledge the need to maintain relationships with other homeschool groups, religious and secular, in order to keep abreast of political trends that might undermine our parental and civil liberties.
The reasons for membership in a homeschool support group are numerous. First, because home educating is a radical departure from public and private schools, a homeschool support group provides emotional support. Working with others with similar goals and ideals gives members assurance that the method of education they have chosen for their children is a sound one. The second advantage of membership in a group is the ability to draw upon the resources of others within the group. Thirdly, group activities can provide friendships for members and their children. Group interaction with people of all ages is the best way to socialize children.
With its framework of support that allows members to be their children’s educators, Veritas Homeschoolers makes possible and perhaps even magnifies some of the main advantages of home schooling. Among these are freedom to choose a child’s curriculum, closer parent-child relationships, enjoyment of one’s children, control of the child’s moral environment, personal growth of parents, more individualized instruction for the student, a reduction of the economic pressure of private education, and a greater student responsibility for attaining an education. Veritas Homeschoolers is not here to dictate to parents what and how they should teach their children. Homeschooling parents alone are responsible for the educational experiences of their children. Members are encouraged to remain informed of current Arizona laws regarding homeschooling.
* Homeschooling for the purposes of this group is in accordance with A.R.S. 15-802. In addition parents (or legal guardians) must personally do at least 50% of the home schooling at the primary level (K-8). At the secondary level, parents must exercise exclusive control of the high school program but need not personally provide 50% of the instruction. However, they must do some of the home schooling. Note: Enrollment in a public charter school, including virtual academies, is not home schooling in accordance with A.R.S. 15-802.
Veritas Homeschoolers Statement of Faith
- The Bible is the inspired and infallible Word of God.
- God has existed from all eternity in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ was God come in human flesh, being fully God and fully man, except without sin.
- All men have sinned, both by nature and by act. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for man’s sin through His substitutionary death on the cross. He then triumphed over death by His visible, bodily resurrection.
- Salvation is offered as a gift: free to the sinner. This gift must be accepted by faith, not trusting in any personal work, but in the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ alone.