Searching out a homeschool support group is an excellent and important part of homeschooling. There are many different types and sizes of homeschool groups serving different purposes and geographical areas. We’d like to share a little about Veritas Homeschoolers with you.
Veritas Homeschoolers provides wonderful opportunities to meet and network with like-minded homeschool families. Veritas has over 100 families in it with kids of all ages, from birth to graduates, living in all parts of the east valley – from Queen Creek/east Mesa to Tempe/Ahwatukee and Phoenix. Veritas does not offer co-ops or classes per se, but many co-ops, play dates, and friendships have formed out of our group. Although Veritas Homeschoolers is a Christian organization with Christian leadership, membership is open to all those wishing to homeschool their children.
PARK DAYS – We have a traditional monthly park day on the first Friday of the month (unless it falls on a holiday) where the kids play while the moms participate in a focused topic discussion time and fellowship. Sometimes we bring in special speakers, or have a special activity for the kids. Kids that attend park day are generally preschool to junior high age, though all ages are welcome. We also have mid-month informal park days called Picnic at the Park to provide another opportunity during the month for fellowship. Visitors are welcome to attend Park Day once in order to determine whether or not they wish to join Veritas Homeschoolers. If you would like to visit one of our monthly Park Days, please use our Contact page to request more information.
FIELD TRIPS & MOM’S NIGHT OUT – In addition to Park Days, parents take turns organizing monthly field trips for our member families. We also have a monthly Moms Night Out (MNO) hosted by a different mom each month either in her home or at a local venue. In addition, members are encouraged to coordinate spontaneous field trips, activities and other meetups as they would like.
TEEN ACTIVITIES – For teens (ages 12+), we have a number of different events. Member volunteers organize teen social activities, field trips and service opportunities. We also have a youth group that meets twice a month for Bible study and outreach events.
VERI-TALK – In addition to connecting in person at one of our events, members receive support and encouragement through our email discussion group, Veri-Talk. On Veri-Talk, members request advice for homeschooling, parenting, homemaking or any other needs, as well as share prayer requests and praises. It is through this email discussion group that impromptu meetups are advertised, community homeschool events are shared, and homeschool materials and supplies are shared and sold. We believe one of our group’s greatest assets is our many veteran homeschoolers who have graduated some or all of their children. Their experience and mentorship is a major blessing to those of us still on the path. The email communication group helps build community and also allows members to find other people who might be interested in doing activities or co-ops together in their geographic area.
SERVING – Veritas is a volunteer-led organization which relies on its members to lead, organize, and coordinate activities and administration responsibilities. We are able to offer a number of activities and events only because so many members give of their time and talents to keep the activities going. Therefore, all members are asked to choose an area to serve each school year. New members, however, are allowed to postpone their serving until the following school year so that they may get a better understanding of the group and the different serving opportunities and find the best fit for their skills and interests. Many hands make light work!
If you are interested in joining Veritas Homeschoolers, and are currently homeschooling according to the legal definition of homeschooling in Arizona*, please complete the application on our website, Once completed, you will receive an email with instructions on mailing the waiver and fee. The fee is $15 for the year (prorated by half on March 1), and if you’re a pastor family the fee may be waived. Potential members are allowed to visit one park day before joining, so if you would like to see if Veritas is a good fit for your family, please use the website contact page to request information about our next park day.
We look forward to meeting you and are happy to answer any additional questions you may have about our group. Homeschooling is an amazing experience and having others along on the journey can be such a blessing! We hope you will join us!
* Homeschooling for the purposes of this group is in accordance with A.R.S. 15-802. In addition parents (or legal guardians) must personally do at least 50% of the home schooling at the primary level (K-8). At the secondary level, parents must exercise exclusive control of the high school program but need not personally provide 50% of the instruction. However, they must do some of the home schooling. Note: Enrollment in a public charter school, including virtual academies, is not home schooling in accordance with A.R.S. 15-802.
Veritas Homeschoolers Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible is the inerrant, inspired Word of God and that it is our final authority in all matters.
II Timothy 3:16-17 – II Peter 1:20-21
- We believe God is a person, eternally existing as the Trinity in unity – Father, Son (Jesus Christ), and Holy Spirit – three persons, one God.
Matthew 26:19 – I Corinthians 8:6
- We believe in Jesus’ virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, and atoning death through His shed blood and His bodily resurrection.
Luke 1:30-55 – John 1:1-15
- We believe man was created in the image of God; but fell into separation from God through sin, bringing death to all men.
Genesis 2:16 – Genesis 3:16-19 – Romans 5:12 – Romans 3:10-23 – Romans 6:23
- We believe that God creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God.
- We believe God ordained marriage to be the union of one man and one woman.
- We believe salvation is a free gift from God for “whosoever will call upon the name of the Lord.” It is by the grace of God, through faith, not any works of any man. Salvation is received through faith in Jesus Christ and His finished work.
Ephesians 2:8-9 – Acts 16:31