See also: Field Trip Ideas
Homeschoolers love field trips! We ask that you advertise your activity on the Veritas Homeschoolers Events page in addition to posting it on the Veritas Homeschoolers e-mail group, Veri-talk. However, if you find a field trip at the last minute that you would like to share with other members, please feel free to advertise it on the e-mail group right away. Traditionally Veritas Homeschoolers doesn’t schedule any activities with a Halloween or Santa Claus theme, or have activities on Good Friday.
How to Plan a Field Trip
- Choose a place you would like to learn more about.
- Call the place and coordinate their available dates with days available for Veritas Homeschoolers. Please do not schedule a field trip on the same day as Park Day.
- Find out the following from your field trip phone contact:
- Directions to the place
- The time
- The cost
- The number of people they can accommodate (minimum & maximum number)
- What ages may participate
- If strollers can be accommodated
- The area to congregate
- If there are any special instructions
- What the tour will show
- Regarding cost, each activity is self-supporting; all money necessary to provide the activity must be collected from the Veritas Homeschoolers member participants. Occasionally, as finances permit, the Planning Committee may recommend using dues of the members to pay for part of an event or activity that is open to all members.
- A day or two before the field trip, give a reminder call or e-mail to those who signed up, if you need a minimum number to participate.
- Write a thank you note to the place after the field trip or bring a card to the event for everyone to sign.
- Briefly evaluate the success of the field trip based on the original goals and advise the Planning Committee of that evaluation.
Field Trip 10 Commandments
- Prepare for the field trip by discussing what to expect and appropriate behavior with your children.
- Sign-up or call the contact person or field trip leader and pay any money involved in advance.
- If you need to cancel, due to an emergency, call the contact person, so the whole group doesn’t have to wait for you. If you cancel at the last minute, you may still be required to pay the fee, unless the minimum number is met without you.
- Be on time – This means arrive at least 10 minutes before the event is scheduled to begin.
- Dress neatly and appropriately.
- When age limitations are specified, bring only those children that are the proper ages. Ask someone to take turns watching each other’s little ones on field trip days.
- Parents are responsible for their own children and any others they bring for someone else. Children must stay with parents at all times.
- Children must be courteous. There should be no talking with friends. (This applies to adults, too.) Follow directions given. Raise a hand to ask questions. Do not interrupt the speaker. Remain with parent. Families that exhibit inappropriate behavior will be asked to leave.
- Children and parents should thank the field trip leader before leaving. Write a thank you note to the place when you get home, unless you wrote a group thank you note at the field trip site.
- This is for you to fill in, if you need another rule for your family!
(The idea was borrowed from C.H.E.C.K. News January 1993.)
Field Trip Participants
- Participation –
- All participants in Veritas Homeschoolers elementary age (under 12) field trips and activities must be Veritas Homeschoolers members.
- Extended family members may attend field trips on a limited basis to include grandparents, aunts/uncles and cousins subject to field trip attendance limitations to be determined by the field trip coordinator.
- Teen field trips (ages 12+) may be attended by outside friends of Veritas families subject to the approval of the field trip coordinator and considering space accommodations. Note that nonmembers will need to bring a completed Field Trip Permission Form.
- Exceptions to the above guidelines may be made by the PC on a case by case basis.
- Child Supervision – All children must remain under direct supervision of their Veritas Homeschoolers member parent at all times, unless an event is advertised as one in which your child will be supervised by activity personnel.
- Dress and Conduct – All Veritas Homeschoolers family members must dress modestly and conduct themselves with consideration and respect for other people and property. See Policy Number 3, Veritas Homeschoolers Membership Requirements for additional information.
- Self Administration – Since Veritas Homeschoolers is a member run group, Veritas Homeschoolers members are encouraged to self-police themselves and each other. Problems that have been unsuccessfully addressed by a member may be brought to the Activity Leader’s attention.